Lost Password?

Register now!

(1) 2 »

Re: shut down these forums
Just popping in
rank481e64a60d920.gif
Group:
Registered Users
Willing to join the "Documentation team" also.

I'm not a coder either but I've learned alot from the Xoops Community.I've managed to make changes to code when I could find the solution and it was understandable.I'm just starting to attempt my first module thanks to the new Xoops Web Tools module and the latest massacre of the news module on my site.It still works but might not if I ever update it lol.Anyways I'm attempting to improve my xoops foo and have been using Xoops for 4 years now.

Anyways I'd like to contribute
and I'm willing to learn also.
At this time I'm probably only good for documentation but if thats what is need...

Point me to my leader

Posted on: 2008/5/4 23:20
_MD_TRANSFER_DESC _MD_TRANSFER

Just popping in
rank481e64a60d920.gif
Group:
Registered Users
Well. I want to help to develop xoops. It seems to me a very good product made with a very great efforts.

Really all the opinions about lack of doc are true. It is necessary API docs, template usage doc, etc.

I'm not a good programmer, and don't know PHP enough to develop community spread modules, but I'm very good in team's organization and job planning. I also can write documentation in english although my mother's language is spanish (technical doc is not complicated)

I offer me to collaborate with core develop team to make a API doc and a module development guide.

My available time is very little, but it is my small contribution to the project.

I really think if I use xoops, I must to do something in back. As far as my xoops jobs are non remunerated (I hope this ends asap ), I can help to other to do a better xoops.

Carlos

Posted on: 2007/3/29 3:48

Just popping in
rank481e64a60d920.gif
Group:
banned
It's so easy to complain isn't it?

I don't see people stepping up to offer to help... do you?

Posted on: 2007/3/27 8:43

Not too shy to talk
rank4825449219e13.gif
Group:
Registered Users
there seems to be a lot of bitching around here. don't bitch, code. think there should be more documentation, make some. something needs to be fixed, fix it. crying that somebody else didn't do it for you is lame. support? there's a ton of mysql and php groups that can help out where xoops may not be able to. i've just started on my first module and i'm totally new to coding and seem to be getting stuck on every freakin' little detail but i'm not bitching that it's somebody elses fault.

Posted on: 2007/3/9 13:48

Just popping in
rank481e64a60d920.gif
Group:
Registered Users
I'm trying to develop a Xoops module for my team webpage. It is "working" fine so far, but I've come to the point that I'm asking myself "is it worth the effort?", and it's not caused because of the time spent in the coding, but the uncommfortability caused by spending more time trying to find documentation about anything than coding the module itself.

It is absolutely amazing how there is so little documentation about module developing.

I'm not the brightest programmer ever, I would say I'm not even a good programmer, but I know my module would be over now if I'd had documentation about how to use templates, use smarty and the basic xoops API documentation.

Should I start convincing my mates to switch over to another CMS only two months before starting using xoops?

What is the point in having and all-free open source extremely scalable CMS if you don't give your users the proper tools to work on it?

Posted on: 2007/3/8 4:33

Home away from home
rank4823bd3e90096.gif
From Virginia, USA
Group:
Registered Users
You might try Drupal.

Posted on: 2007/2/23 16:13

Just popping in
rank481e64a60d920.gif
Group:
Registered Users
I think it is telling to see that this post got absolutely no response at all from the developers.

I am sorry, but I am getting less and less impressed with this system. If I had built something like this, I would absolutley try me damnedest to get it documented and easy to use. The developers on here obviously could care less about their product.

Does anyone know of a better system? One that has basic documentations and a website that works?

Posted on: 2007/2/23 13:10

Just popping in
rank481e64a60d920.gif
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think what BradM is calling for is really to shut down the forums but to draw attention to the lack of support available for module developers.

Some of us, myself included, have the task of adding new features to existing websites that have been using xoops for years longer than we have worked for our companies. Every module or enhancement I make ties us closer and closer to xoops and every time I search this site for something simple I can't remember the exact syntax for and draw a blank makes me regret that. A module developer should never have to look through the core code to find the methods available to them, the core should be a black-box for all intents and purposes.

No matter how good the Xoops-core becomes a CMS is judged not only on the core stability and speed but by the modules available and the ease of development of new modules.
Where is the API? (the links on this site are how many years out of date again?)
Where is the page explaining [the Xoops permission system] with code examples?
Where are the module templates?
Where are the weekly updates to the Code Snippets from the core developers highlighting core features?
Why is it so hard to actually find anything on this site?

Yes, I know that making these is time consuming and nowhere near as fun as actually working on the core BUT surely you must see that these are more important to the continued growth and development of Xoops. The problems with these forums are a symptom of the slowdown of module development for xoops not the cause.

What drove the rise of Wordpress? The Codex providing an accessible and reliable way for third parties to make a massive array of plugins to wow and attract new users combined with very well thought out documentation covering almost all aspects of installation, configuration and usage.

Take a leaf out of that book, don't let the Xoops project slowly collapse in on itself. New blood, new ideas, new users - any open source project that can't attract all three is doomed to fail.

Feel free to flame, criticize or throw things. Just think on what I've said.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 22:39

Home away from home
rank4823bd3e90096.gif
From Virginia, USA
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of questions posted here, including ones that I post, don't get useful replies. But then some of the questions do get useful replies. For that reason, I think it's better to keep the site open than to close it.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 5:50

Just popping in
rank481e64a60d920.gif
Group:
Registered Users
Listen, I do realize that whenever someone posts constructive criticism about Xoops (known as "complaining"), all they get is grief, which is why I hesitate to post in the first place. But believe me, I'm not alone on this.

But let's face it, anyone who's ever worked in any kind of software environment knows that support is the key. Yes, you guys do this on your own time, and believe me, we thank you for that. But you can't just throw something out there, and not follow it up with support. That goes from the core to the modules. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not interested in supporting your software, then don't make it public, period.

So take these comments as you will. If the team here is actually interested in making things better, then they'll give the support question a lot of thought. If not, then, I guess I expect even more non-constructive replies to this post.

And I expect that myself, and many others, will just move onto other CMS software. Xoops may be the best of the best, but if it isn't backed by proper support, becomes even more disorganized, and questions such as my post are continually met with personal attacks, then it isn't worth the headache.

Posted on: 2007/1/11 15:46

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.